Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Mainsail

Our first exotic repair was to be the mainsail furler. I say "our", but I lie. WW's first exotic repair. I am an exuberant bystander, most adept at being in the way. Occasionally, I will be asked to hold a line or cheer. For the most part, I am excess to requirements.

WW scratched his head, pondered, and finally used a plastic lid we had saved since Fort Lauderdale to build a new piece for the furler. He also removed and replaced the furler line and moved the supporting struts for the trampoline. All this was hot work, so he was sent off for a shower.

I had told him about the Adventure Park and we went to explore it. That's when we discovered I had been an illegal entrant. As we were turning away, a man accosted WW and offered him "the tour". This turned out to be a drive to the offices of Lifestyle Vacation Holidays, where we were handed over to the extremely pleasant James Almazor (Haitian, his grandfather had come from Quebec), who tried to sell us one of a variety of vacation plans. It is actually quite an interesting concept, but probably not our style.

When we returned to the boat, it was about rum punch o'clock. The temperature under the bimini was 41C. We turned on both fans and lolled in the salon at a comfortable 28C. Then we walked into the village and ate at the Almost Open restaurant. WW won. He had the grouper sandwich. It was magnificent.

****

It is Sunday morning and we are being taken to Santiago in about 10 minutes. Tomorrow we will head to Santo Domingo and on Tuesday, we are flying back to Canada. That means I will have to catch up when I'm back there.

No comments: