Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sailing Home From Nevis


During our circumnavigation of Nevis, WW had been looking out the car window seaward as scrubby trees sporadically interrupted the view. He declared, “A whale! I saw a whale!”

I confess I was sceptical.

As we sailed through the narrows and headed southwestish (light airs straight on the nose, no seas to speak of, day so clear we could see to Guadeloupe), WW called, “Whale!” And, in truth, thar she blew.

The critter (or critters, there may have been two) was just about where WW had seen it the day before. We approached quite close so I was able to play Madame Nature Photographer, with stunning results.


Water where a whale was just seconds before.


The rest of our crossing was uneventful in the extreme. This is the best that can be said of any passage. We arrive at English Harbour by about 4 p.m. and had Les and Anthea unloaded soon after. WW cleared us all in, rejoined me at the fuel dock and we moved out to Freeman’s Bay, picking up our mooring by about 5 p.m.

We staggered over to the tot, stunned by sun, wind and an early start, but managed to fulfill our duty as rum bo’suns. We ate something, but I’m darned if I can remember what. For a change, we were in bed before 9 p.m.

No comments: